- What are the seven sacraments of the Catholic church? Which sacraments did Luther reject?
- How does Luther’s concerns about withholding the cup from the laity connect to his earlier ideas about the theologian of the cross?
- What’s the difference between an error and heresy?
- Why was the distinction between Mass as a sacrifice of the people offered to God and Mass as a sacrifice of God offered to the people important to Luther?
- Why didn’t Luther require pastors to take penance? Why did Luther still personally practice penance?
Trueman quotes from the Second Helvetic Confession of 1566, which reads: “The preaching of the Word of God is the Word of God. Wherefore when this Word of God is now preached in the church by preachers lawfully called, we believe that the very Word of God is preached, and received of the faithful; and that neither any other Word of God is to be feigned, nor to be expected from heaven: and that now the Word itself which is preached is to be regarded, not the minister that preaches; who, although he be evil and a sinner, nevertheless the Word of God abides true and good.”
- How does this theology of preaching compare to your own?