One in four women, and one in six men, will be sexually assaulted at some point in their life. There are almost certainly people in our churches who have been deeply wounded by assault, but may feel compelled to keep their suffering to themselves.
In a Sunday evening elder’s talk at Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Bobby Jamieson walked through the story of Amnon’s rape of Tamar from 2 Samuel 13, a vivid account of the devastation that sexual assault causes. Jamieson then offered seven ways the gospel brings renewal to those who have been victims.*
1. The gospel restores your voice, turning denial into the righteous act of naming evil truthfully.
2. The gospel gives you a new identity as God’s beloved child in Christ.
3. The gospel frees you from shame.
4. The gospel perfectly and permanently removes the guilt of your own sin.
5. The gospel makes room for righteous anger and uproots sinful anger.
6. The gospel restores trust in God and others, turning isolation into growing intimacy.
7. The gospel grants hope, turning despair into confidence in God’s promises.
- Rid of My Disgrace (book review by JJ Sherwood)
- Sexual Assault, Domestic Abuse, and the Gospel (Justin and Lindsey Holcomb)
- Sexual Assault and the Scandal of Repentance (Trevin Wax)
*Throughout the talk, Jamieson relies heavily on and recommends Justin and Lindsey Holcomb’s book Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault.
Get a FREE eBook to strengthen your family discipleship!
The back-to-school season is stressful for moms and dads. New rhythms of school, sports, and other extracurricular activities can quickly fill up a family’s already busy calendar. Where do busy parents look for resources on discipling their family well? Aside from prioritizing church, what else can Christian parents do to instill healthy spiritual habits in their household?
Matt Chandler and Adam Griffin cover these questions and more in Family Discipleship: Leading Your Home through Time, Moments, and Milestones. And we’re excited to offer this book to you for FREE as an eBook today.
Click on the link below to get instant access to your FREE Family Discipleship eBook now!