On this episode of Help Me Teach the Bible, I speak with Bryan Chapell, senior pastor of Grace Presbyterian Church in Peoria, Illinois, and the former president of Covenant Theological Seminary about how to teach through the book of Ephesians. Chapell’s books include Holiness by Grace: Delighting in the Joy That Is Our Strength and Christ-Centered Preaching. In Ephesians, Paul presents us with so much essential teaching for understanding what Christ has done and how we are to live as those who belong to him.
Topics in the discussion include:
- the cosmic scope of Ephesians;
- God’s plan that includes the persecution of the church;
- the meaning of “the heavenly realm”;
- answering questions about predestination;
- key words and concepts such as reconciliation and mystery;
- the indicative and imperative of Ephesians; and
- teaching submission in the context of the broader message of Ephesians.
Here are some additional audio resources that you may find helpful in preparing to teach Ephesians:
- Sermons on Ephesians by Bryan Chapell
- Sermons on Ephesians by Dick Lucas
- Sermons on Ephesians by D. A. Carson
- Sermons on Ephesians by Kent Hughes
For further study, here are some books you may find helpful, including titles from Crossway, the sponsor of Help Me Teach the Bible:
- Kevin DeYoung’s introduction and notes on Ephesians in the ESV Gospel Transformation Bible
- Ephesians (Reformed Expository Commentaries) by Bryan Chapell
- Ephesians: The Mystery of the Body of Christ by R. Kent Hughes
Subscribe to TGC’s podcast in iTunes or for other devices to get this and subsequent interviews by in Help Me Teach the Bible with Nancy Guthrie. You can also download the interview here or stream it above.