He is risen!
On this glorious day, which began in darkness, ends in light:
- Some women discover the empty tomb and are instructed by angels (Matt. 28:1–7; Mark 16:1–7; Luke 24:1–7; John 20:1).
- The women, fearful and joyful, leave the garden and tell the disciples (Matt. 28:8–10; Luke 24:8–11; John 20:2).
- Peter and John rush to the tomb based upon Mary Magdalene’s report and discover it empty (Luke 24:12; John 20:3–10).
- Mary returns to the tomb and encounters Jesus (John 20:11–18).
- Jesus appears to Cleopas and a friend on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13–35).
- That evening Jesus appears to the ten (minus Thomas) in a house in Jerusalem (Luke 24:36–43; John 20:19–23).
He is risen indeed!
For more information, see The Final Days of Jesus: The Most Important Week of the Most Important Person Who Ever Lived by Andreas J. Köstenberger and Justin Taylor with Alexander E. Stewart (Wheaton: Crossway, 2014).