In this two-part episode of Help Me Teach the Bible I talk with Ryan Kelly, pastor for preaching at Desert Springs Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he recently taught through the book of 1 Samuel. Kelly calls 1 Samuel a “hinge book” between the time of the judges and the establishment of the kingship in Israel. Topics include:
- The prayer of Hannah that extends beyond what has been revealed and provides a table of contents for the book
- The problem with Israel’s desire for a king
- David’s speeches in the David and Goliath story
- What Jonathan reveals about true conversion
- Three decapitations
- Warnings for us in the sin of Saul
Here are some additional audio resources you may find helpful on 1 Samuel:
- Sermons on 1 Samuel by Ryan Kelly
- Sermons on 1 Samuel by Tom Schreiner
- Sermons on 1 Samuel by Liam Goligher
For further study, here are some books you may find helpful, including titles from Crossway, the sponsor of Help Me Teach the Bible:
- ESV Men’s Devotional Bible
- 1 Samuel: Looking for a Leader by John Woodhouse
- A Son to Me: An Exposition of 1 and 2 Samuel by Peter Leithart
- The King in His Beauty by Tom Schreiner
Subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or on other devices to get this and subsequent interviews in the Help Me Teach the Bible series with Nancy Guthrie. Help Me Teach the Bible is now available on Stitcher.
Get a FREE eBook to strengthen your family discipleship!
The back-to-school season is stressful for moms and dads. New rhythms of school, sports, and other extracurricular activities can quickly fill up a family’s already busy calendar. Where do busy parents look for resources on discipling their family well? Aside from prioritizing church, what else can Christian parents do to instill healthy spiritual habits in their household?
Matt Chandler and Adam Griffin cover these questions and more in Family Discipleship: Leading Your Home through Time, Moments, and Milestones. And we’re excited to offer this book to you for FREE as an eBook today.
Click on the link below to get instant access to your FREE Family Discipleship eBook now!