If God had willed it, each of us might have entered heaven at the moment of conversion. It was not absolutely necessary for our preparation for immortality that we should tarry here…
Had the Lord so willed it, he might have changed us from imperfection to perfection and have taken us to heaven at once.
Why then are we here? The answer is – We are here to…
- live unto the Lord
- and bring others to know his love.
We remain on earth
- as sowers to scatter good seed
- as ploughmen to break up the fallow ground
- as heralds publishing salvation
We are here as the “salt of the earth,” to be a blessing to the world.
We are here to glorify Christ in our daily life.
We are here as workers for him, and as “workers together with him.”
Let us see that our life fulfills its goal. Let us live earnest, useful, holy lives, to the praise of the glory of his grace!
– Charles Spurgeon, Morning & Evening, 342 (adapted)