Those of us who stand up in front of people, or sit down in front of a computer, or gather in a circle to teach the Bible to others face some unique spiritual dangers—dangers that have the power to rob us of rich and real relationship to Christ even as we go about teaching about Christ. In his book Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry, Paul Tripp helps those in ministry face up to hidden motives and harmful habits.
In this episode of Help Me Teach the Bible, I asked Tripp to talk about five things of particular importance for those of us who teach the Bible:
- Motivation for ministry
- The goal of ministry
- The damaging fruit of self-glory
- The battle between preparation and personal devotion
- The danger of disconnect between ministry persona and personal life.
Resources by Paul Tripp
- New Morning Mercies
- Awe: Why It Matters for Everything We Think, Say, and Do
- Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry