Many of the best Bible teachers I know name Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758) as one of their most significant influences. So for this episode of Help Me Teach the Bible, I sat down with two Bible teachers who fit into that category to discuss why a Bible teacher in our day should read the writings of this 18th-century teacher, preacher, philosopher, writer, and theologian.
Nathan Finn is dean of the School of Theology and Missions and professor of Christian thought and tradition at Union University, and co-editor with Jeremy Kimble of A Reader’s Guide to the Major Writings of Jonathan Edwards. David Filson is pastor of teaching at Christ Presbyterian Church and co-host of East of Eden, a podcast on the biblical and systematic theology of Jonathan Edwards. Finn and Filson agreed on numerous recommendations for Bible teachers getting started with Edwards, including
- start with his sermons rather than theological treatises such as Religious Affections
- recognize that Edwards, like all of us, had serious faults and failures
- taking all his Resolutions to heart can be more discouraging than helpful.
Resources mentioned in the conversation:
- The Rational Biblical Theology of Jonathan Edwards by John H. Gerstner
- The Works of Jonathan Edwards Online
- Edwards on the Christian Life: Alive to the Beauty of God by Dane Ortlund
- A New Inner Relish: Christian Motivation in the Thought of Jonathan Edwards by Dane Ortlund
- Charity and Its Fruits: Living in the Light of God’s Love edited by Kyle Strobel
- Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan and Sarah Edwards by Elizabeth Dodds
- Signs of the Spirit: An Interpretation of Jonathan Edwards’s Religious Affections by Sam Storms
- “An Overview of the Religious Affections: 12 No-Signs and 12 True Signs” by Justin Taylor
- Dane Ortlund preaches Jonathan Edwards’s sermon, “The Spirit of the True Saints Is a Spirit of Divine Love“
You can listen to the episode here.
Editors’ note: Join us for our 2018 Women’s Conference, June 16 to 18 in Indianapolis, to hear Nancy Guthrie teach from God’s Word. Browse the list of 56 speakers, 51 talks, and 14 “listening in” discussions. Register soon!
View a special Christmas greeting from Don Carson and learn more about joining us in ministry here.