“Let me hear in the morning (and afternoon, and evening) of your steadfast love, for in you I trust.” Ps. 143:8
Lord Jesus, while celebrating our 50th anniversary in Northern Ireland, I’ve “upped” my breakfast game. They really know how to do a “proper breakfast.” But a breakfast of Gospel-manna impacts much more than our energy level. It shapes how think about you, see our world, and relate to others. So, taking King David’s advice, Jesus, we begin this May Friday feasting on your steadfast love.
- Only your love is better than life. All others loves merely enhance and decorate life.
- Only your love can meet our deepest needs and satisfy our greatest longings. No other love was, is, or ever will be enough.
- Only your love is unwavering. All other loves are filled with conditions and contingencies, “if’s” and “only’s,” fine print and expiration dates.
- Only your love can free us from our heart-idols, broken cisterns, fool’s gold, and unrealistic expectations of people.
- Only your love can heal the greatest heart-wounds we carry, and the darkest secrets we have buried.
- Only your love can move us from navel-gazing to kingdom living—from a life of selfishness, insecurity, and fear for an eternity of wonder, love, and praise.
Jesus, this morning, afternoon, and evening too, pour your love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit. Continue to stun, center, and gentle us with truth and riches of the Gospel—the foundation and fountain of your matchless love. So Very Amen