Tullian Tchividjian’s new book–Unfashionable: Making a Difference in the World by Being Different–is now available.
In his foreword to the book, Tim Keller writes:
Here you will learn how we must contextualize, how we Christians should be as active in Hollywood, Wall Street, Greenwich Village, and Harvard Square (if not more) than the halls of Washington, DC. And yet, there are ringing calls to form a distinct, “thick” Christian counter-culture as perhaps the ultimate witness to the presence of the future, the coming of the Kingdom.
Here are just a few of the blurbs:
“Plainly, powerfully, and pastorally, Unfashionable gives a birds-eye view of the real Christian life – Christ-centered, church-committed, kingdom-contoured, future-focused, and counter-cultural all the way. It makes for a truly nutritious read.”
– J.I. Packer, Professor of theology at Regent College and author of Knowing God
“It is not easy to stand athwart the tides of the culture and challenge them without sounding either terribly prissy or hopelessly out of date. How can a thoughtful Christian be genuinely contemporary while never succumbing to the merely faddish and temporary? The challenges are enormous – but they are also tied to the most elementary tenets of Christian faithfulness. Tullian Tchividjian is a helpful and engaging guide through these troubled waters.”
– D. A. Carson, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and author of Christ and Culture Revisited
“With the right balance of reproof and encouragement, critique and construction, Unfashionable displays with succinct, vivid, and engaging clarity the relevance of the gospel over the trivialities that dominate our lives and our churches right now. The message of this book is of ultimate importance and its presentation is compelling.”
– Michael Horton, J. Gresham Machen Professor, Westminster Seminary in California and host of The White Horse Inn
Doug Baker recently did a podcast interview with Tullian Tchividjian, which I would recommend listening to:
Part 1 – Download the MP3
- A Church Like the World – What We Need?
- Wanted: Servants not Celebrities
- The Big Business of Evangelicalism
- “Christians make a difference in this world by being different from this world; they don’t make a difference by being the same”
- Relevance – What is It?
- The Irrelevance of Relevance; Against the World for the World
- The Bible as God’s Listening Post; An “Emergent” Humility?
- Evangelism – God’s One Great Work?
Part 2 – Download the MP3
- Culture – What is it?
- Sola Scriptura or Sola Cultura?
- Jesus and Cosmic Renewal
- The Cultural Mandate – What and Why?
- What is the Kingdom of God?
- Contextualization – What is It? Do We Need it?
- The Church as God’s Greatest Evangelistic Tool