A couple of weeks ago at College Church in Wheaton, Don Carson, David Helm, Colin Smith, and Josh Moody participated in the Simeon Trust’s Workshop of Biblical Exposition:
- Carson, Preaching Apocalyptic: Understanding An Alien Genre
- Helm, Traveling Instructions: Preaching the Cross from Apocalyptic
- Carson, Preaching Apocalyptic: And Where is Jesus?
- Carson, Preaching Apocalyptic: Its Function and Usefulness
- Helm, Bone and Marrow: A Demonstration of Preparing a Sermon
- Smith, Christian Expository Preaching
And here’s a 10-page PDF from Bob Fyall, Senior Tutor in Ministry at Cornhill Scotland, on Preaching Apocalyptic Literature (originally written for Proclamation Trust in London). Here are Rev. Fyall’s 5 principles on preaching and teaching apocalyptic lit:
- Fit apocalyptic literature into the Big Picture of the Bible
- Deal with apocalyptic literature faithfully and imaginatively
- Link the present with the eternal
- Link apocalyptic literature with other genres in the Bible
- Preach Christ
You can find lots more preaching instruction at the Simeon Trust website.