John Piper explains how and why he has become more Christocentric in his preaching over the years. Here’s the outline of his theological reasoning:
- The apex of God’s display of his own glory is the display of his grace.
- God’s glorification of his grace was planned before creation.
- God’s glorification of his grace was to happen through the Son of God, Jesus Christ.
- From eternity the apex of God’s glorification of his grace was designed to be Christ’s crucifixion for sinners.
- God’s glorification of his grace in the crucifixion of his Son for sinners was the ultimate purpose for creating the universe.
- Therefore God planned from eternity that the revelation of his glory would be the ultimate reason for creating the universe.
Read the whole thing for scriptural support and further explanation.