In this episode of Help Me Teach the Bible, I sat down with Vern Poythress, professor of New Testament interpretation at Westminster Theological Seminary to talk through his book Reading the Word of God in the Presence of God: A Handbook for Biblical Interpretation.
Over the course of the conversation, Poythress explains steps for sound interpretation as well as mistakes Bible teachers often make. He offers keys to using a commentary wisely and to identifying analogies and types of Christ in the Old Testament.
Books by Poythress include:
- Reading the Word of God in the Presence of God: A Handbook for Biblical Interpretation
- The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation
- The Lordship of Christ: Serving Our Savior All of the Time, in All of Life, with All of Our Heart
- The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses
Mentioned by Poythress in this episode:
- The Unfolding Mystery: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament by Edmund Clowney
- Preaching Christ in All of Scripture by Edmund Clowney
You can listen to the episode here.