In this episode, I discuss the Gospel of Matthew with Douglas O’Donnell at his home in Brisbane, Australia. O’Donnell studied at Wheaton College and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He then spent 12 years planting and pastoring churches in the Chicago area before moving to Brisbane in 2014 to teach at Queensland Theological College. He is the author of numerous books, including Matthew: All Authority in Heaven and On Earth in the Preaching the Word commentary series, and he continues his research on Matthew.
In this conversation, O’Donnell provides helpful ideas and key insights for teaching through Matthew, including how to find the melodic line of Matthew, Matthew’s emphasis on pattern fulfillment, and what he calls “Doug O’s Amazing Ten Steps” to interpreting parables.
Books by Douglas O’Donnell:
- Matthew: All Authority in Heaven and on Earth
- The Beginning and End of Wisdom
- God’s Lyrics: Rediscovering Worship through Old Testament Songs
- The Song of Solomon: An Invitation to Intimacy
Douglas O’Donnell recommends:
- Matthew in the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament by Grant Osborne
- Matthew: A Commentary, Volumes 1 & 2 by Frederick Dale Bruner
- Interpreting the Parables by Craig Blomberg
- The Parables of Jesus by David Wenham
You can listen to the episode here.