Earlier this month, Trinity’s Jonathan Edwards Center was kind enough to invite Rev. Louis Love, Rev. Charlie Dates and me to discuss whether we should adopt the theology of a man who owned slaves.  In this case, Jonathan Edwards.

The video and audio are now available for any interested.  Would love to hear what you think.

Comments:

16 thoughts on “Audio/Video for the Jonathan Edwards, Slavery, and Theology Lecture Available”

1. John says:

Who’s the handsome stud?

1. Thabiti Anyabwile says:

That’s Pastor Louis Love!
      Ain’t that right, sister Jamie? ;-)

2. Gordon says:

Pastor Thabiti

This is some weighty stuff. Where’d you go to seminary?

1. Thabiti Anyabwile says:

Hi Gordon,

I’m not seminary trained. No seminary would lower their standards to have me! ;-)

I did a masters and all but four courses on a doctorate in psychology. All of my theological training has come basically from four sources: the local church, “sitting under” good preaching (either live or through radio/internet), reading good theology, and conferences.

T-

1. Gordon Hazell says:

Well here’s the deal. I live on Anguilla East of St. Thomas and North of St. Maarten.

When you coming over this way? We need to talk! HEHE

3. Michael says:

Would love to see you come to the “Windy City” to preach maybe at Progressive Baptist, Pastor Charlie Dates church. This had been a stumbling block for me for a couple of years now. I do believe the big issue was my self righteousness and racism that steamed from from former black nationalist racist leaning. I would blast Edwards for slave owning and be so forgiving for my self righteousness, lust or murderous heart. This was enlightening and I do believe God was glorified.

1. Louis says:

Pastor Anyabwile will be near the Windy City in Vernon Hills, this summer. Feel free to come on up.

More information:

4. Shawn Johnson says:

VERY good stuff pastor Thabiti I hope we can download this one day!

I have a question, how do you think one should view the theologians who have done injustices or said degrading things in the past towards minorities, but has done good works within the reformed community?

I say this as one entering into the Presbyterian denomination and their have been quite a few books by those such as R.L Dabney and James H Thornwell that have said some degrading things.What type of attitude should I have when reading or talking about these men?I cant simply ignore speaking of them because, as sinful as the way they acted, they’re a part in Presbyterian history.

1. Thabiti says:

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for dropping by, watching the video and opening up the discussion. That’s a great question, brother.

You know, there’s a long line of flawed and influential men in the history of the church. Doug Sweeney mentioned Luther’s anti-semitism. We have the racism of folks like Dabney and Thornwell. And so on. Isn’t it astounding that godliness and depravity can be so exquisitely mixed in the life of one human being? Praise God for the active righteousness of Christ!

With all our theologians we have to “chew the fish and spit out the bones.” There’s a very necessary sifting we have to do. Sometimes we must sift out aberrant theology, while at other times we have to sift out flawed examples. Perhaps it’s a measure of maturity to be able to do so? I don’t know. I just know that with some issues and some people it’s incredibly difficult because flaws and sins can sometimes appear darker than the light of Christ in a person’s life. But the best we can do is rejoice in God’s grace and mourn over man’s depravity. We can and should also emulate they holy and avoid the ungodly.

It’s work. Praying the Lord gives us grace to do it.
      T-

5. I loved it. Awesome…

6. Stacey says:

Excellent conversation, but I was frustrated by the failure to address David and Solomon’s sin of multiplying wives and concubines (sex slaves) to themselves, even though the law expressly forbade multiple marriages for Israel’s kings. As a woman I find their sin reprehensible, but I also understand that they were men of their times and it was the common practice of the pagan kings around them. In other words, they were men formed (even blinded) by their culture. They never repented of this terrible sin and yet God still used them according to His purposes and for His glory, even inspiring Holy Scripture through them. I think bringing up this example might have helped clarify things even further.