HT: Challies

A new survey of Americans’ knowledge of religion found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons outperformed Protestants and Roman Catholics in answering questions about major religions, while many respondents could not correctly give the most basic tenets of their own faiths.

Find the full article here.

What is the state of the church if even “the most basic tenets of the faith” cannot be explained correctly by its members?  It’s bad.  All of God’s men must return to a faithful teaching of the truth in all of its biblical, systematic, and historical categories.

This result points to a painfully obvious fact: The church at large simply isn’t producing the kind of Christian capable of sustained, deep, rigorous, joyful, applied, and life-changing meditation, thought, and worship needed in this ever-changing world.  We need more thinking and feeling Christians who believe God.

Open forum: If you’re in a church where your knowledge of the faith if growing, give a positive shout out to your pastor and congregation in the comments section.

Comments:

23 thoughts on “Do You Know Your Faith Better than an Agnostic?”

1. John Mark Steel says:

I commend my pastors and elders at Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Greenville, SC, for their careful, systematic, loving teaching of the Word. We esteem them highly and thank God for them!

2. Thabiti,

There is an interesting article on ABCNews.com by a polling consultant about the flawed way the survey was conducted. It doesn’t excuse anyone’s lack of knowledge about their faith, but it does help to see how the poll really doesn’t say very much about much at all.

3. Usama Al-Taher says:

Rob Sturdy & Iain Boyd, faithful men of the word in Myrtle Beach,SC.
    Taught Sunday school using “What is a Healthy Church Member” last year. Thanks

4. Lory Wood says:

I thank and appreciate our pastor and elders at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Valpariso, Florida for their expository preaching of the Word. We were at Saint Andrews Chapel in Sanford, Florida under the care of Dr. R.C. Sproul for ten years and enjoyed his systematic and expository teaching. Thank you Mickey and thank you R.C. for teaching my family to glorify God in all we do!!!

5. Andrew Chesebro says:

@Usama: I attended your church while I lived in Myrtle three summers ago. Rob and Iain truly are faithful!

Big lion shout to Kevin DeYoung in East Lansing!

6. Marlon says:

I appreciate the expository preaching, and teaching at New Hope Presbyterian Church in Bridgeton, New Jersey.

7. Terry says:

I appreciate the teaching at the Contact Church in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

8. Arch says:

I commend my pastor, and the elders and lay leaders at Community Bible Church in Vallejo, CA! Our shepherds are committed to preaching and protecting the glorious gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ! Word-Up to –> The Cornerstone Seminary in Vallejo, CA!
    And Word-Up to –> Exalting Christ Ministries in Vallejo, CA!

9. Todd says:

My family is so blessed by the teaching and preaching at Grace Community Evangelical Church in Lincoln, NE

10. Jodi Shell says:

My family is blessed to attend Christ Covenant Reformed Fellowship in Angora, Nebraska. Thank You, Pastor Tim, for preaching the supremacy of Christ in all things especially in the spiritual desert which is Western Nebraska.

11. Shane says:

Hey brothers and sisters of the faith,

I have to say that God has been very gracious to place me in a church where the Gospel is centre and the deepening of knowledge and love is vigorously encouraged and worked at as God works through us. We have not arrived by any means but God has allowed us to see fruit especially in the love for oneanother birthed out of the saving knowledge of the Gospel.

Thank God for His grace.Much love to Pastor Thabiti and the elders at First Baptist Church of Grand Cayman.

Shane

12. Faith says:

“We need more thinking and feeling Christians who believe God.” – Amen! I am continually grateful for the work of The Village Church (www.thevillagechurch.net), their undaunting pursuit of biblical truth, and their challenge to grow in depth, breadth, and truth.

13. Amen to this post – and why we take seriously the call of the family to be the place where most of your spiritual growth taking place.

Fathers and mothers – the vanguard of the faith IMHO – need to be where the nurture begins.

Having said that, our church, Nampa Bible Church with Sharad Yadav as our pastor, is definitely fighting against this nominalism and ignorance – happy to say many in our congregation wouldn’t fit the description.

(Thanks to our pastor, but especially through our Lord!)

14. Steve Kruyswijk says:

Pastor Rob Berreth, in Bellingham WA. Preaching the Gospel with every sermon. Thank you for your leadership!

15. John says:

Lou Tiscione, pastor of Weatherford PCA in Weatherford, Texas:

Not only does he preach expository sermons every Sunday, but he also teaches the congregation systematic theology, church history, church order, and other important topics. His wife Laurie is also committed to equipping the women and children of the church.

16. Matthew says:

Dr. Andrew Davis, First Baptist Church Durham, NC. Brother has been given a sharp mind from the Lord, memorized many books of the bible, teaches systematic theology, church history, and preaches expository sermons. Listen to his sermons http://www.fbcdurham.org

17. Kelley says:

The pastors and lay teachers at King’s Baptist in Vero Beach are humbly and boldly teaching the flock. I thank God for them daily!

18. Ivan Mesa says:

Jerry Wragg and all the faithful elders at Grace Immanuel Bible Church (Jupiter, FL) are leading the flock in humility and in the truth of His Word. My three years there while in college have been some of the sweetest in my life. I’m so thankful to the Lord for giving me a church in which the people love God and treasure His Word.

19. Roy says:

Our family has experienced Gospel focused and grace filled teaching and shepherding at CrossWay Community Church, Bristol, WI.

Thank you, Mike, Steve, David, Bruce, Tom, Steve, Mike and the Elders.

We love you guys.

20. godshawk says:

Hi brethren, greetings from Uruguay, South America.
    Sadly, the said statement is very true in my country, where being a christian is often taken as being intolerant, ignorant and outdated, I can proudly say, however, that there are brave brothers and sisters, trusted professionals working in all kind of fields who demostrate that the true is the opposite, but we have a lot of work in front of us. I’m a student aiming to get a teaching degree in computer science and I’m very concerned to see that so many of my brothers often disagree with the fact that some of us desire to pursue a professional career and is thought that critical thinking is contrary to our Lord’s teachings. It specially saddens me because critical thinking forces us to delve deeper in the Word searching for His will for us. Pray for us college students as our faith is tested by the schooling system, so that we can become fine professionals comitted to show Christ to others through our work and life. Blessings!!

21. Hope says:

Last week I took an online quiz testing knowledge of various religions and/or belief systems. I was shocked at the graph that followed my personal results from the quiz. I believe that particular quiz only included the United States but the graph showed sad results. People debate and argue over religion and faith but it appeared that many scoring high on that quiz were those who do not claim to any particular faith/religion or who identify themselves as atheist or agnostic.

As for the Christian church, I have found over the past several years that many believe attending church services and/or believing that God is real or that simply being born to parents/families who identify themselves as Christian means that one automatically has salvation. Trying to explain with scriptures that salvation is not “inherited” (even if the parents/family are faithful believers) does not set well with some people.* Likewise, I’ve met people who have been baptized who are unsure of what they believe about Jesus and have never acknowledged His Lordship or He walked the earth as God incarnate. Just last week in an online forum, a woman commented that she believes scripture (referring to “The Roman Road”) but that she does not believe in the Holy Trinity. She asked, “What is the condition of my salvation?” Discipleship is so important and we are going to approach people of other faiths with the Gospel we have to know ourselves. We also need to know what others believe.

*(Satan also knows that Father God, Holy Ghost and Christ Jesus are all very real. Also if he entered Judas and mingled in the midst of Jesus and the disciples, I have no doubt that he is still just as perverse and will come right into church and sit amongst believers. He may be uncomfortable but I believe he or his minions make their way in and try to influence/distract and attempt to take the focus off God.)

22. Hope says:

In my excitement I failed to acknowledge the ministry. I come out of Light of the World Church, Jeffersonville, IN, a teaching ministry which resently dissolved as founding pastor, Kenneth Morgan and wife, Minister Detra Morgan are now on long-term mission. Currently, attending services with rotating house church (local).