Imagine your life were an open book.

Every conversation recorded. Every errant word written down. Every gaffe broadcast before all.

What if everything you ever did was fair game?

What if every action and every decision were held up to the severest scrutiny?

What if all your last minute apologies failed to satisfy?

How would you feel to realize someone knew everything about your past? And someone was chronicling everything about your present?

How would you like to face a barrage of questions for every inconsistency in your life?

What a fearful proposition: anything you ever say or ever do can, and often will, be held against you. If an adversary so desired, he could paint an ugly picture of any of us. And without resorting to lies.

It’s a scary thought to think that your whole life could be an open book. With defenses that do not hold, and sorry’s that do not stick, and excuses which only make things worse.

That’s politics.

And that’s the day of judgment without the blood of Christ.

Comments:

19 thoughts on “Politics Is Hell”

1. Jim M says:

all i can say is wow! so true — THANK YOU LORD JESUS for saving me from a much more detailed scrutiny and no way out. thank you for saving me.

2. Ouch. Makes me happy I went into ministry instead. Still scares the crud out of me when I think of the scenario.

3. Damian says:

Wow. It so overwhelming to see those words in print. Yes, praise God. And that is the life once lived under the Law. As Scripture tells us, this is the reason for Christ’s work on our behalf.

4. Ross Bebee says:

Excellent

5. Randy in Tulsa says:

From I Corinthians 3:

11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— 13 each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. 14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

6. Simon says:

Kevin,
    you made the comment “And that’s the day of judgment without the blood of Christ.”
    My understanding is all will face judgement, believer and unbeliever.
    “Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment”
    Hebrews 9v27
    I was of the understanding that there is no difference (we all face judgement). And all our sins, failings and rebellion will be brought to account.
    Of course the outcomes of both judgements are more polarized than anything we can imagine. The blood of Christ makes God propitious towards us, the forgiven, resulting in our redemption through His death and resurrection and His bearing our punishment on the cross (praise God for His mercy).

Can you please share your thoughts on this?

7. François Wattier says:

Hard job for sure…Surely we need to pray for those men and women in such position (Rom 13)

8. Mel says:

Simon I asked that same question at bible study last week. I would like to see the answer too. I want the honest truth and not a feel good answer. And is it “everything” or only those things that we refuse conviction on by the Holy Spirit?

9. Mike says:

Simon, that is debatable. Some (folks like me) believe that there will not be a judgement for those who are in Christ. Jesus, on the cross, bore our judgement for us. We will not stand before God and have to answer for our sins – as they have been paid for by Christ. Others will not be so fortunate.

10. Simon says:

@ Mike,
    thanks for sharing. I would like to know if there is biblical rationale for such thinking as not aware of any. As I’m no authority, I’d like some input from any scripture that indicates support for it. On the face of it, it would fly in the face of Heb 9v27. But we need to be faithful to all scripture and it’s interpretation and I may not be reading it right.

11. Dan Plasman says:

The Divine One does not require blood in order to love us. Jesus knew that and died because he threatened the dominant power of Rome, not because he was required to appease with his blood an angry God.

12. Mike says:

Simon, I was unclear and communicated poorly. What I meant was that believers sins will not be brought to light, we will not be held accountable for them on the last day (judgement) because we are in Christ. Pardon my mistake. We will, from what I see in Scripture, stand at the judgement – fortunately though we will have an advocate.

Scripture asserts that the sins of Christians are covered (Ps. 32:1), washed away (Ps. 51:2), thrown into the depth of the sea (Mic. 7:19), and not to be remembered by God (Isa. 43:25).

I am aware, however, that this is debatable. Some believe that our sins will be brought to light once more at the judgement.

13. Jeffrey Powell says:

Simon, there is the great white throne judgement for those who will be eternally separated from God and the judgement seat of Christ which is just for believers to sort out the “wood, hay and stubble and the gold, silver and precious stones.”

14. Jeffrey Powell says:

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. (2 Corinthians 5:10 ESV). This is for the believer.

15. Flyaway says:

Maybe at the judgement seat some will get a reward and some will not–I’ve often wondered why so many times scripture says “The first will be last and the last will be first.”