A classic Dana Carvey bit, demonstrating the genius of the rock ballad.

Comments:

9 thoughts on “Monday Morning Humor”

1. Joan says:

Hahahaha! My husband does something quite similar with country music. Good transitional laugh to the work week!

2. Denny Burk says:

I remember that bit! Hilarious!

3. Dan says:

Never have seen that before. Dennis DeYoung’s intonation makes him a great target for impersonation, assuming that’s who Carvey was mimicking early in the clip.

4. Staci Eastin says:

I remember seeing this in the Saturday Night Live skit. I think in the skit he pushed the piano to the window so he could keep singing about his girlfriend, who got exasperated with him and walked out, as she walked down the street. Funny!

5. Scott C says:

Dan,
    I was thinking the same thing. I loved Dennis DeYoung’s many rock ballads with Styx when I was young. But now when I hear them I can’t help but see the over-the-top melodrama that they were and why Carvey’s mocking sarcasm is so appropriate and funny.

6. Wesley says:

Classic SNL – back in the day when the show was actually creative and funny and they didn’t read off cue cards the whole time.

7. Dan says:

Scott, Dennis DeYoung had some kind of theatrical flair that was rare in rockers; he always sounded as much like a Broadway musical singer as a rock star. DD could well be one of the (grand)fathers of the power ballad, as only a few years later many of the early 80s “hair bands” were doing them too!

8. Loots Lambrechts says:

Dear Kevin,

I’m a missionary with AIM in Rwanda. i’ve started a 2 year training course for mainly university graduates (‘Preach the Word (PTW) training Course’) about 9 months ago and we are so grateful to God for this opportunity of serving him and the people of Rwanda.
    I’ve just come across your book “what is the mission of the church” on the internet, since both my wife and I are really trying to work out this very question ourselves. Our experience here in Rwanda over the last three years is that there are so much confusion as to what the mission of missionaries really should be! Most of the times we really feel isolated in our belief that the proclamation of God’s gospel must be central in all missionary activity.

Is there any way of contacting you (which is not so public) and ask you some burning questions?

Warm regards in Christ,
    Loots

9. Kevin DeYoung says:

Loots, I have an email address on our church’s website. But to tell you the truth, it is hard for me to respond to most emails. You could also try connecting with Greg Gilbert at Third Avenue Baptist Church in Louisville, KY. God bless you in your vital work.