I imagine most readers of this blog want to glorify God. The chief end of man, after all, is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. But have you ever thought about how to glorify God—I mean practically in every day life?

Here are twenty biblical ways you can.

1. Give God verbal declarations of praise (Rev. 4:8-9).

2. Live a life of noticeable piety (Matt. 5:16; James 1:27; 1 Peter 2:12).

3. Ask God for things in Jesus’ name (John 14:13).

4. Bear fruit and show yourself to be a disciple of Jesus (John 15:8).

5. Declare the truth about Jesus (John 16:14).

6. Love your life less than God (John 21:19; 1 Peter 1:7; 4:16).

7. Worship God as God (Rom. 1:21).

8. Live a life of sexual purity (1 Cor. 6:20).

9. Live a life of generosity (2 Cor. 9:13).

10. Rejoice in God’s glory displayed in creation (Psalm 19:1).

11. Do the works of faith (2 Thess. 1:12).

12. Use your gifts in God’s strength (1 Peter 4:11).

13. Make sure everyone knows you’re not God (Acts 12:23).

14. Live a life of gratitude (Psalm 50:23; 2 Cor. 4:15).

15. In matters of liberty, seek the good of others (1 Cor 10:31).

16. Extend grace to sinners (2 Cor. 8:19).

17. Be a part of a local church (2 Cor. 8:23; Eph. 3:20-21).

18. Tell God you are wrong and he is right (Josh. 7:19; Jer. 13:16; Rev. 16:9).

19. Obey God (Lev. 10:3; Mal. 2:2).

20. Go from a Christ-despiser to a Christ-worshiper (Gal. 1:24).

Comments:

25 thoughts on “How Can I Glorify God?”

1. paulyD says:

Kevin – these are great. Can I ask where you got them from? I was just reading Watson’s Body of Divinity and he lists several very practical ways. Some are listed here. Good stuff.

2. Kevin DeYoung says:

I just got them from the Bible. I looked at passages where glory or some related word is used and then boiled the instances down into these categories. God bless.

3. Rick says:

And I know it goes without saying (but thought to say so anyways) that all of the above only truly glorify God as they flow from a heart tethered to the Gospel – as they are implications of the Gospel and result from the power of the Gospel working in and through ones life. For ultimately the greatest display of God’s glory is demonstrated in the incarnation, life, death and resurrection of the Son of God. And it is from that fountain that all other streams of glory derive their substance and to which all other streams of glory ultimately point to.

4. Pam says:

Amazing. This is a topic that I have mulling over and praying about (again) for quite some time recently. Thank you for the reminders and the new insights, and for posting the scriptural references. I have printed it out for further “mulling.”

5. This is awesome. I hope you do a follow up on this.

6. Lisa Patterson says:

Thank you for reminding us that faith glorifies the
    Father. And yes by the power of His spirit that has been deposited in His followers does this get accomplished. Thanks!

7. DS says:

Only thing missing off the list is “Don’t judge others” as that is God’s job.