Ed Stetzer hosted Jefferson Bethke, Priscilla Shirer, and Matt Chandler—with music by Josh Wilson and Christ August—on TBN last week:

Comments:

16 thoughts on “Gospel Truth on TBN”

1. The Stetzer show! Starring Matt Chandler as Matt Chandler!

2. Woody Bailey says:

What is Ed Stetzer doing here? That announcer was really annoying!

3. So thankful they are making good use of such a opportunity. I wonder if the “make much of Jesus” language hit home with the audience. Was there ever any explanation as to how such an opportunity occurred?

4. Ed Stetzer says:

Thanks, Michael, for asking.

They asked me to host last year after I’d been on the show 3 times as a guest. Google my name and TBN and you can find the shows (and a few people calling me a heretic).

This is the second show I hosted (and Matt Carter shared in similar ways to Matt Chandler on the first.)

I’ve committed to host 3 more shows over the next few months. Though it is hard to top Chandler, I think you’ll like the guest list…

This show goes to 180 countries and about 1 million viewers so, seriously, I ask you to pray for us as we are engaging in what is a very unusual context for me.

Ed

Woody,

Thanks for your input.

Ed

1. Thanks, Ed. Wow! I will be praying for you all. So thankful that God has opened such an opportunity for you. Continue to make the most of it. Looking forward to your future guests!

5. GerryNorth says:

Not sure how I feel about them appearing on TBN. Are they legitimizing TBN and their prosperity gospel?

1. It depends on how you look at TBN as a network. If they had this show on CBS, would it make you feel better? What sort of stuff do they show on there they might offend you? Would appearing on CBS make you feel like they were endorsing CBS’ agenda? (Whatever that is.)

1. GerryNorth says:

Good point, Brad. One difference is that CBS is a secular broadcaster. TBN purports to be a Christian one.

1. I look at it this way: They are a network that shows “Christian” programming. Your mileage may vary as to how Christian each show is. My point is that having a show on a network is not necessarily an endorsement of everything that network runs as a program.

Besides, if TBN is will to run this alongside of their other programs, I take that as a good sign. Or at the very least, TBN realizes that they should broaden their Christian demographic. My thought is that if this show demonstrates broad appeal, the likelihood of us seeing similar programs is that much greater.

1. GerryNorth says:

I hear you, and it is nice to see some real Christian teaching on TBN. However, for some viewers, they will see this and then see Hinn or Copeland. They will think that they are all teaching the same Gospel; when clearly they are not.

1. taco says:

Perhaps we can pray that this wet the appetite for good teaching; and that if sheep were watching they will find good teaching and leave the garbage trough behind.

1. GerryNorth says:

Amen!

6. JOE says:

I WATCHED THE SEGMENT WITH MATT AFTER GETTING AN EMAIL FROM JUSTIN TAYLOR’S BLOG UPON GETTING HOME FROM AN ACTS 29 CHURCH,THOUGHT IT WAS PRETTY GOOD.I REMEMBER SEEING ED ON A PREVIOUS SHOW AND THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING BEING THAT HE IS SOMEWHAT FROM A DIFFERENT STREAM AS IT WERE.

7. Steven says:

I was able to watch the broadcast after it aired and really enjoyed it. Of course, at least for a while, everything (announcers ect) will have that TBN “cheese” factor, but it was refreshing to see the gospel presented in such an intentional way. I actually chuckled a few times at how intentional it was. Thanks to Ed for stopping guests and trying to make sure you explained exactly what the “terms” meant.

The Matt Chandler segment was fantastic!

8. The rate of speech left me jittery. There’s no way I could participate in such rapid-fire conversation.

Otherwise, good messages in a place where the content is often questionable.

9. Danny says:

I was interested in watching to see what “the people in the audience would think”. Instead, I was blessed by the programming. Jefferson was great.

Justin Taylor