In 2006 Joseph “Skip” Ryan resigned from the pastorate of Park Cities Presbyterian Church in Dallas. It was then revealed that he was an opiate addict, in bondage to prescription pain medicines. His marriage was also falling apart as he and his wife became little more than roommates.

You can watch below their painful but hopeful story of forgiveness and humbling and repentance and restoration:

HT: Dane Ortlund

Comments:

7 thoughts on “A Pastor Addicted to Performance (and Narcotics)”

1. Ben says:

Justin, do you know the name of the recovery center he attended for 6 weeks? People close to me are going through the same struggle and need help. Thanks.

2. Pete says:

Incredibly powerful and healing for a number of reasons. Thank you soooo much! -a former pastor formerly addicted to performance and pain meds

3. Jenn says:

I started attending Park Cities shortly after Skip Ryan left, while Tim Tinsley was presiding as the pastor. Thank you for sharing this.

4. susan galloway says:

I listened to the video about how God stepped in and changed hearts and Iwas moved by the story. Thank you for sharing it. I am in the process of sharing a story of my own about having an abortion. Yes God uses broken people, thank you for your faith your courage and your sharing. God bless. Love you both. God bless.

5. Gloria says:

I have found this to be true in my life too. Great testimony. God does heal broken things and comes near to the broken hearted!! Amen

6. Lois Ingles says:

Thank you Skip Ryan and Mrs. Ryan for sharing your powerful and moving story. I pray that God will use it mightly in my life and the lives of people I love.

7. Dan Marotta says:

I was baptized by Skip as a child back when he was pastoring Trinity Pres. in Charlottesville, VA. Praise the Lord for what He has done in the Ryan’s lives!

Justin Taylor