Andrew Thompson of CT’s “This Is Our City” project has a nice profile of Lecrae and the “Man Up” campaign by ReachLife Ministries and Reach Records. It provides some helpful background for why they believe the crisis of absent fatherhood is best addressed by biblical masculinity.

You can go get an MP3 for the “Man Up Anthem,” and watch the video below:

Here’s a trailer for the short film they are working on in connection with the album:

More explanation of the whole vision and campaign below.

THE PROBLEM
There’s an ongoing war within urban culture. Confusion over what manhood is has plagued our cities, families and lives. The concept of a biblical man has been lost in our generation. Unfortunately, many churches struggle to provide its urban members, much less those beyond their walls, with a tangible definition of a real man.

THE CAMPAIGN
In partnership with ReachLife Ministries and Reach Records, Man Up is a new campaign, calling men in the hip-hop culture to true biblical manhood through repentance and faith in Christ.

The campaign consists of a short film, small group curriculum, music soundtrack and concert series. It is our call for men in urban culture to repent for their failure to become the men that God has created them to be and for believers to live as who they truly are in Christ.

THE SHORT FILM & CURRICULUM
The short film takes a look at six different areas of manhood that young men fail to live up to. By taking a look at the common challenges and responses of young men in urban culture, we hope to reveal the need for clarity on what being a man truly means.

A curriculum is also available through ReachLife Ministries to accompany the short film and promote further discussion in small group settings.

THE SOUNDTRACK & CONCERT SERIES
The soundtrack of Man UP is from Reach Records and delves into the concepts addressed in the film and curriculum. Later this year, audiences can experience a showing of the film, a panel discussion on manhood, and a live concert as the Man Up concert series makes stops in select cities.

It is our hope that men everywhere will answer the call to Man Up!

Comments:

10 thoughts on “Lecrae’s ‘Man Up’ Mission to Address Father Absence”

1. lander says:

I’m confused.

In the series on Youth Ministry we are warned that Legalism and Moralistic Therapeutic Deism has infected youth ministry, with the primary visual example being Silver Ring Thing (SRT).

And here, we have a new Man Up campaign–which no doubt will NOT be Legalism/MTD.

But I’m a tad confused. I do not want to interject needless controversy into a worthy Man Up intiative. I merely wonder aloud at the criteria TGC uses to deem one ministry moralistic (SRT) and another gospel-centered, when both aim at moral transformation of behavior.

How is Man Up different from moral rearmament initiatives of the past?

2. Greg Long says:

Um. Some of us are getting weary of Reformed guys telling us what it means to be a man… ALL OF THE TIME!

1. Melody says:

Why? The world is constantly telling you what it means to be a man and that is how it got screwed up in the first place.

2. Michael A. Henry says:

@Greg Aren’t we all reformed, rather, transformed men?

3. brad says:

So if I just wear a ball cap sideways and have a cartoon t-shirt I can be a man? Where do I sign up?

4. Marsisme says:

If ‘biblical manhood’ means following Jesus, gentleness with strength, confidence with humility and standing for the equal stature of women in the world and in the Church, then I am for ‘biblical manhood’. But, if it means subscribing to the Reformed view by claiming ultimate human authority belongs to male leadership in the Church, then count me out. The Reformed view of biblical manhood with its increasing emphasis on male-centric authority is sounding more and more cult-like to me.

It’s not a very long stretch to see that when we claim male-centric authority in the Church, what follows (in the thinking of males) is male-centric authority in secular organizational structures – corporations, government, etc. That has been the catalyst for injustices against women in both secular societies and religious communities. I do not have much confidence when only males have ultimate power (control of information. resources and decision-making).

As a young man (now much older), I learned that there was something very weird and unbalanced about male-only conferences pounding the podium with the message of male-centric authority. We don’t need to knee-jerk ourselves away from secular culture by subscribing to this model.

1. Christina says:

I suggest you get Doug Wilson’s excellent new book, “Father Hunger.” Is “male-centric authority” weird because some women who wanted to have it said it’s weird, or because God calls Himself Father?

5. Marsisme says:

Christina, my experience of unbalanced topical preaching (i.e. weird) on male-centric authority comes out of my experience as a male and a Christian. If it quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. If a man feels compelled to claim and impose his maleness as a badge for spiritual authority, then he is probably either authoritarian in nature or a compliant follower of those who speak authoritatively. That has been my experience.

As a father myself, I would not take pleasure in my sons claiming authority over any woman. And I hope my daughter has sense enough to think for herself and not be hood-winked by an authoritarian male voice. That is a father’s heart. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem good enough for Reformed thought. I do not need Scripture verse sabre-rattling to know what is right and what is wrong. As I have read the Bible, I see a bigger more ‘inclusive’ model that has affected my knowledge of right and wrong.

There is, indeed, a great need for fathers who are responsible, loving, honest and Christ-modeling. I have strived for that. But, we do not need the barrage of a male-centric authority message. We need a Jesus-centric message.

Justin Taylor