An update from the Village Church on the pathology report that Matt and Lauren Chandler received yesterday:

Dear church,

In the first chapter of Philippians, the Apostle Paul writes that whatever imprisonments, beatings and trials he may have suffered, they all “serve to advance the gospel” of Jesus Christ. We implore you to keep the gospel of Christ as the main focus as we walk with Matt and Lauren through this trial.

On Tuesday, Dr. Barnett informed Matt and Lauren that the findings of the pathology report revealed a malignant brain tumor that was not encapsulated. The surgery to remove the tumor, the doctor said, was an extremely positive first step; however, because of the nature of the tumor, he was not able to remove all of it.

Matt, who is being released from the hospital today, is meeting with a neuro-oncologist this week to outline the next steps of the recovery process. There is a range of treatment possibilities but the exact course of action has not yet been determined. He will continue outpatient rehab.

The Lord is calling Matt and Lauren and The Village Church body to endure this trial. It will be a challenging road for Matt, his family and our church body. The gospel is our hope and the Lord is our strength. Matt and Lauren continue to find solace and hope in Christ. They weep facing this trial, but not as those without hope and perspective. The gospel clarifies their suffering and promises more of Christ through it all.

You have done a wonderful job respecting the family, and we ask that you continue to do this. They are processing all of this together and need you to give them precious space. Please do not visit them at their house unless personally invited by the Chandlers. The best way to serve the family is to continue to be faithful in prayer. Specifically, pray for the following:

• Wisdom for all the coming decisions
  • Strength and peace to endure
  • The kids’ (Audrey, Reid and Norah) hearts; pray the Lord is merciful as they process and that their little hearts do not grow embittered
  • The Chandlers and The Village would suffer well because of the gospel and for the sake of Christ’s name

As you hurt and weep for the family, do not do it alone. Gather with your home group and with other believers in homes and pray together. This is a time to walk together with others and to endure this trial in community. If you wish, send cards and letters to Matt and Lauren at 2101 Justin Road, Flower Mound, TX 75028.

We will continue to keep you informed as new information is made available. Please be patient with the frequency of the updates. May God strengthen us all and may His glory shine brightly through this.

Please do pray for our brother, his family, and his church.

Yesterday he wrote on his Twitter account: “Path report is 2ndary at best…good report doesn’t mean much, bad report doesn’t mean anything…my days r numbered and nt by ths report.”

Collin Hansen recently wrote in CT about Chandler’s trials: “When the Pastor Suffers.”

Comments:

19 thoughts on “Matt Chandler’s Pathology Report and a Call to Continued Prayer”

1. Thanks for this, Justin. We will keep praying, of course. Merry Christmas to you, brother.

Steve

2. Phil Johnson says:

That’s bitterly disappointing news, but what an encouraging and praise-inspiring response from the Chandlers and The Village Church! Our hearts and prayers are with them.

1. Elda Coleman says:

That is my response as well… bitterly disappointing news, yet encouraging and praise-inspiring. My heart does hurt with and for them, yet I will join their praises to our God and continue to pray for them. Thanks for the link to Colin’s article as well.

3. Have to agree with Phil Johnson, what an encouraging and praise-inspiring response from Chandlers and the Village Church.

Will keep praying.

God bless and merry Christmas

4. Matt says:

Very sad news. We will keep praying.

5. I think the fact that it is such bad news to us highlights a good part of Christians .. we want the best for others. Particularly for someone who’s done so much to advance the cause. But at times like these, it’s good to recall Romans 8:26, and the assurance that, while we don’t even know what we ought to pray for, God knows what’s best for us. Including Matt and his family.

Regardless of what we think is best.

6. Dareena says:

DEAR Father In Heaven,I openly come to you in prayer for this family at this time.I pray that you bless this family with healing in Jesus name I pray,Amen!

7. We are not promised another day. Make much of Christ while you still have the chance.

Love you Matt and will keep you and family in prayer brother.

8. Whitney says:

I was so disappointed to read this news, but so grateful for the perspective it brings.

9. Brad Friesen says:

Be sure also to continue to pray for healing (James 5:14).

10. Calvin says:

I am deeply sad about this, Pastor Matt’s preaching gift is unique, and the Lord has spoken to me through his sermons about specific areas of my life.

Lord willing, Pastor Matt will return to his pulpit more serious, more focused, and we shall see the Lord’s hand!

11. Marc Szabo says:

I am going to be pleading with God to heal Matt… he has been such a huge encouragement in my life.

12. Wesley says:

I was saddened to hear this news; Matt has become such an instrument of God in my own growth and sanctification. I pray for healing and strength, but, as he so often points to Christ and continues to do so even now, i pray that whatever happens, God will be glorified. God bless and keep you brother Matt. Much love from Vancouver, Canada.

13. Cal says:

I am encouraged by this statement, even though this news dissapoints me.

I am encouraged by the repeated mentions of “the gospel.” The good news is really all we live for, and all we live by.

“The gospel is our hope and the Lord is our strength. …… The gospel clarifies their suffering and promises more of Christ through it all.” This is beautilful, it goes with what the Bible says in Philipians 2:9 “For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake”

14. John says:

Praying for Matt and his family! Appreaciates Matt’s testimony before his surgery. A great testimony to the Gospel. Helped me to cling on dearly to Philippians 1:15 “To live is Christ”. It is never about me! Thanks Matt! In our deepest suffering, the only thing that makes any sense, is Jesus Christ!

15. You got thru the resection– most of it– that is the scary part for most!! And came out with an amazing attitude (what a typer!!) Jesus will be using this FOR HIS GLORY!!!!! He taught me who He IS thru my first brain surgery– lifted my faith in my 2nd– and now my 3rd to come is all in my prayers– to bring others to HIM!! We never know what all is going on– but in all reality– it is amazing!!! YOU ALL ARE IN MY PRAYERS!!! My love is deep, I just lost a very dear friend– first time ever– and He continues to work thru me– HE WILL YOU! If you aren’t connected to @aaronmcrae on twitter– please do so… He is a pastor that was about–JUST ABOUT to plant a satellite part for our church in Scottsdale– and their precious 5 yr old #katemcrae got diagnosed– several days later– operated on for brain tumor– very large– backside of the brain. Only 50% removed– very malignant… and has already now gone thru 5 round of chemo– but WOW their faith is amazing…… http://www.prayforkate.com

Just as all of yours blow me away!!!!! HE IS SO IN YOU!!!! And I am blessed to see your tweets!!

Justin Taylor