At the Next Conference one of the songs I enjoyed worshipping to was Jordan Kauflin’s “All I Have Is Christ” (from the Looked Upon CD). Here are the lyrics:

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will.
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still.

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross.
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me.
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose.
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You.

© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI), by Jordan Kauflin

One of the consistent raps against contemporary Christian music is its repetitiveness. But for me and my house, I see few downsides to having this refrain as the default setting in my mind throughout the day:

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Here’s a video that Dave MacKenzie at Sovereign Grace put together from the Next conference, where you can hear a live version of the song:

All I Have Is Christ from Sovereign Grace Ministries on Vimeo.

Comments:

10 thoughts on “All I Have Is Christ”

1. Graham says:

Excellent, thanks for posting. Hallelujah, All I Have is Christ! A great refrain for today.

2. danwilcox says:

Also, the live version recorded here is available as part of a download of Next 2009 Live at http://www.sovereigngracemusic.org
    It includes 13 songs recorded live and 2 bonus tracks. All for $5!
    This has lived on my playlist since I got it, and the best 5 bucks I've spent in a long time!

3. Boaly says:

rilliant!

4. Brandon says:

My church was kind enough to send me to Sovereign Grace's most recent conference, WorshipGod09, where I heard this song for this first time. SG is really doing some great work writing gospel saturated songs.

5. Matthew says:

Still a long way from "All My Hope on God is Founded…"

just saying.

6. Mark D. Smith says:

Awesome. Wow. Thanks for posting.

You can get the chords for it here:

7. Alex says:

Thanks for posting this song — I love hearing new worship with rich lyrical/theological content. Such a breath of fresh air!

8. M. Helseth says:

Justin,
    I barely got past the second verse and my eyes started to well up. I hadn't even clicked on the song yet. If you only knew my full testimony…this song would make you cry as well for all Jesus has done for me. Thank you for posting this. I'm on iTunes right now to see if I can get it.

Justin Taylor