A while back I began a series of tweets over several days reflecting on my friendship with Jesus. The response was heartwarming, as many seemed to indicate they found the updates helpful and encouraging. Somebody suggested I write a book on the subject, but I hope you will settle for a blog post. Here are the tweets about my friend Jesus. I hope he is your friend too.

I love my friend Jesus because he knows everything I’ve ever thought and still doesn’t cross the street to avoid me when he sees me coming.

I love my friend Jesus because the blood of his sacrifice speaks a better word than the sweat of my effort, and he shouts it triumphantly.

I love my friend Jesus because he chased after me when I ran away and he didn’t stop til I was found and tackled.

My friend Jesus? He’s a storm-hushing, tomb-busting, dragon-crushing brother.

I love my friend Jesus because he took my death, even though he had plenty of time to think it over and every reason to say no.

I love my friend Jesus because he’s never left me and won’t ever leave me, even when I’m most leave-able.

I love my friend Jesus because even when he’s laughing at me, he’s laughing with me. There is no guile in him, no mockery.

I love my friend Jesus because even when he calls me on my bull he doesn’t nag or shame me.

I love my friend Jesus because he never checks his watch while I’m talking to him.

I love my friend Jesus because he never brings up my old stuff.

I love my friend Jesus because, while the crowd gathers with their stones on that side, he stands on this side of the line with me.

I love my friend Jesus because he keeps the devil on a leash like a dog but will throw him into the lake of fire like he’s a cat. #dogperson

I love my friend Jesus because he doesn’t nitpick.

I love my friend Jesus because he never leaves me behind.

I love my friend Jesus because he waits unhurried with me.

I love my friend Jesus because when I enter the room, he doesn’t shake his head & mutter “This guy” but smiles and shouts “This guy!”

I love my friend Jesus because, though he has every right to be, he is nevertheless not ashamed to call me his brother.

I love my friend Jesus because he doesn’t “get upset” with me.

I love my friend Jesus because he is forgiver, healer, conqueror, king, God.

I love my friend Jesus because he uses the dirt of my sermons to open blind eyes. What a powerful, gracious friend.

I love my friend Jesus because he doesn’t just erase the records against me, he burns the record book and scatters the ashes to nothing.

I love my friend Jesus because when he sees me shuffling in, tail between my legs, he runs to meet me in welcome.

I love my friend Jesus because he doesn’t pass on false reports about me but is glad to be my eternal advocate.

I love my friend Jesus because he upholds the universe by the word of his power. I am in good with the boss of existence.

I love my friend Jesus because he just straight-up — no hesitations, no qualifications, no ifs ands or buts — loves me.

I love my friend Jesus because while many give me trouble, he gives me rest.

I love my friend Jesus because when all around my soul gives way, he is all my hope and stay.

I love my friend Jesus because he always lives to intercede for me.

I love my friend Jesus because I can just be myself with him.

I love my friend Jesus because he is infinitely rich with grace and a big spender.

I love my friend Jesus because he makes me feel like a conqueror but he does it without feeding my ego.

Comments:

22 thoughts on “Can I Tell You About My Friend Jesus?”

1. Thanks for putting these in a post, Jared. Seriously. So good.

2. Dustin Price says:

Simple, beautiful, encouraging, true. Thanks brother.

3. Chadley says:

May I suggest making this a coffee-table book? :)

4. Michael in Dublin says:

What is really astonishing is that God speaks of “Abraham my friend” (Isaiah 41:8) and Jesus says to the disciples, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” (John 15:15).

A friend of God? A friend of Jesus? “You are my friends if you do what I command.” (John 15:14). Consider at the context. This is where our focus should be. Every Christian needs to consider the implications of these words.

1. Dan says:

It’s important to remember that Jesus is making a declarative statement here. Look at Jesus words in 15:14-16 as a promise.

You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; BUTI HAVE CALLED YOU FRIENDS, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. YOU DID NOT CHOSE ME, BUT I CHOSE YOU AND APPOINTED THAT YOU SHOULD GO AND BEAR FRUIT…”

This should not lead one to a passivity but to a hunger and desire to know and cherish the Triune God more and all his aspects.

1. Michael in Dublin says:

I was fully aware of the context.

I wanted was to show how the Scriptures often express things rather differently from the way that we do. Our wording should accord with the Scriptures or else we may introducing ideas that do not reflect sound Biblical teaching.

John’s Gospel is clear: a friend of Jesus is characterized by a life of obedience – a word often used of Jesus’ relationship to the Father. I thought his would have been clear in my brief conclusion.

1. mariep says:

Amen, Michael!

5. Alex Philip says:

This is putting 2 Corinthians 10:17 into practice. Thank you.

6. Andrew says:

What’s sad about this article is that Christ is looked at as some homeboy on the block. Jared, a pastor by the way, uses “bull” (or BS could be the shorthand) in the same sentence with our God and Lord. I guess there really is no concept of reverence in this place.

1. Amelia says:

“‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
      we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’ (Matthew 11:17, ESV)

Yeesh. Such bitter, ungraceful criticism.

2. Kyle says:

Man, I wonder if The Lord Jesus the Christ cares about bull**** legalism you seem to be imposing here, Andrew.

3. Abby says:

but isn’t that what sin IS? And isn’t that what Jesus does?? And isn’t that the beauty of the sanctifying work of Christ?? You’re right, “bull” has no place near who God is…but that’s exactly why we need a Savior, and exactly why it’s so marvelous that we really can have Jesus as a *friend* who “calls us” on our sin, to push us towards further union with Himself..

7. mariep says:

All true, though I wish you’d included something like, “I love my friend Jesus because He loves me too much to leave me in my sin and reminds me of how He wants me to live so I will repent of it” Just seemed a bit lopsided to me!

Jared C. Wilson

Jared C. Wilson is the pastor of Middletown Springs Community Church in Middletown Springs, Vermont. You can follow him on Twitter.

Jared C. Wilson's Books