These are not the only reasons I cannot place a vote for President Barack Obama in the upcoming election, but they are the primary ones.

In ascending order of importance (to me):

5. The Affordable Care Act, which only compounds the systemic dysfunctions and increasing demands in America’s health care system.

4. His associations and appointments reflect a poverty of character and values.

3. He cannot be trusted to defend our nation’s citizens and interests.

2. He is regularly ordering the murder of innocent civilians overseas.

1. He is decidedly and unashamedly against protecting the health and lives of the most vulnerable in our society.

Comments:

19 thoughts on “Why I Cannot Vote to Reelect President Obama”

1. What I’d really like to see, alongside this post, is a similar list of reasons why casting a vote for Governor Romney is not in obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I think you could very easily do it, and do it justice, and it would make a far more powerful statement about the fallen state of our nation and our world, and the poverty of strong choices that we have, even in a free democracy. It would also be better than leaving your position stopped short at a blanket judgment that any vote for Barack Obama is a sinful act. Pastors need to know better than to speak about national politics that way (speaking of obedience to the gospel . . .).

2. David Kent says:

I salute you for being willing to speak out on the great ‘boogeyman’ topic that most are too cowardly to touch.

Saying “The President isn’t the hope of the world- Jesus is! So I’m not getting involved in any of that!” is like saying “The Police aren’t the hope of the world- Jesus is! So I’m not arresting these bank robbers!”

We must fight for goodness and justice- even if it is imperfect and temporal.

There can be no doubt in the mind of any thinking, informed person that this President is an enemy of those things we rightly hold dear- even if his opponent is less than ideal.

Well said, brother.

-David Kent (TheDavidKent.com)

3. Matthew James says:

“For these reasons and more, I do not believe a vote cast for the President is in obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

That’s an easy one. The hard part for me is… Will a vote for the other guy be any more obedient?! I have my doubts. Political character seems to be at an all-time low pretty much wherever you look.

Come soon, Lord Jesus… Hope of the world.

4. James Springsmith says:

Praise God for your boldness. It is refreshing.

5. Shrode says:

Jared,
    Your blog is awesome. I should read it more often.

Here’s a link to an interesting article about Obama’s procedure for ordering drone strikes.

6. James says:

I find it difficult to believe that there are no comments on this article.

7. Trevor says:

Perhaps you would be willing to share a similar list as to why you can or cannot vote for Mitt Romney? That would be equally valuable in presenting an unbiased (whole) view of how you are approaching the upcoming elections. Obviously, you could feel free to make a list for any third-party candidates that you felt might be relevant; although the two-party system seems to be getting all the attention.

8. Lanita Fambro says:

Vote your conscience. As long as you’re not forcing your Christian beliefs on all the other citizens of the United States, you may do as you please. And let others do as they believe and THEY please.

9. Tod T says:

I’m not voting for Obama either, but I have to say that I believe #2 is a crock. Do you honestly believe Obama is targeting innocents? Or is he ordering strikes on terrorists. Because if we can’t hit the terrorists where they live because we fear hitting civilians we should surrender now. No war could be conducted under such constraints. Care to guess how many innocent Germans and Japanese were killed by US Forces in WW2? Care to guess how many innocents are killed by IDF Forces in Gaza as the strike back against those firing missiles into Israel. I agree with your other points, but if I understand you correctly, I believe you should rethink #2.

10. Devon says:

all of which are reasons similar to why I can’t support Romney (aside from abortion) as well. They both are killing people who’ve never heard the gospel, championing fiscal irresponsibility, and both have their shady dealings. So the only reason I’m not voting is because Gary Johnson supports abortion, though a states rights guy, and the other independents have other issues here and there. To take your phrase, “For these reasons and more, I do not believe a vote cast for any candidate is in obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ”, though I wouldn’t go as far as to make such a normative claim as you felt the need to.

11. Martin says:

Why did you post this?

If it was tell merely that you weren’t voting for re-election of the President, we didn’t need to know that.

Be careful not to demonize him by only posting negatives. He claims to be a Christian. By not saying anything good that he has done, your comments border on slanderig a fellow Christan.

I have heard the same type of demonization attributed to both John Kerry and Hillary Clinton in the past without any mention of good they may have done. Something is wrong with that.

12. Mark says:

Jared

I missed this post until today. This is very disappointing, to say the least. I wholeheartedly agree that Christians should be politically active and vocal in their political opinions. I also agree that the issues you raise are serious and some may even have clear biblical mandates as to which side of the issue we as Christians should stand. Where I have a real problem is your statement one cannot cast a vote for President Obama and be “obedient to Christ.” This is to be quite honest a great misappropriation of your position as a pastor and a great loss to your witness as Christian. Please consider modifying your statement to reflect the fact that a presidential race contains a multitude of issues on which Christians could honestly find themselves on either side.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Mark, if I were to modify my statement to agree with you, then it would disagree with my conscience. What I wrote was “I do not believe…”, which means that my voting for Obama would be disobedience to Christ.

I find it disappointing that you would agree that Christians should be vocal about their opinions but that I should not have been vocal about mine and indeed should modify it to suit yours. There are times when speaking truth to power is important; I have largely been apolitical throughout my entire public ministry. I did not feel I ought to be quiet this time around about this particular issue, and I hope you can respect that. But even if you can’t, I understand, and my conscience is clear. Thanks for your pushback.

1. Mark says:

Jared

I do not believe that as a pastor you must be silent about your political beliefs. I am probably more sensitive to this because I live in the South in a solidly red state and I hear Christians make comments like “a real Christian could never vote for Obama (usually they say “that Muslim”) or “no Bible-believing Christian could ever vote for a Democrat.” If these conversation were just about issues like abortion and gay marriage, I would be more understanding, but they always include things like tax policy, welfare, etc. Never are things like the environment, capital punishment, gun policy, or the military spending mentioned. I guess what I’m trying to say is that when we claim to have heavenly mandate regarding the worthiness or unworthiness of a man who is a professing Christian for a political office, we are stepping into far more dangerous grounds than if simply said that based on my study of all of the issues I believe this person would be best for the future of our country. By the way, I am a political independent who voted for Romney in spite of, not because of, all of the Christians around me. Honestly, I have never been more disappointed in my fellow Christians in how they have conducted themselves during this election. Slurs are the norm and truth is optional. Love your blog and books. – Mark

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Mark, totally understand. I’m from the Bible Belt myself, and a recovering political idolater to boot. I tried to choose my words carefully, knowing they would be provocative, but my title is intentionally expressed “Why *I* Cannot…”, etc., and I would never seek to place a heavenly mandate on anybody else, as I don’t have it for them on these matters but only for me. I preached a sermon on politics recently (that provided basis for my other recent blog post on the church in a politicized world) that said much of what you are saying here: we cannot claim God is on one side or another and we cannot bind the conscience of others in areas where the Bible is silent. And if you will notice of course I do not mention supporting any candidate, Mitt Romney or otherwise, in the post.
          Thanks again for your sharpening, brother.

13. Jared C. Wilson says:

Apologies to all on late publishing of your comments. I found it hard to believe I hadn’t gotten any either, as one of the commenters expressed. I have not received many email notices of comments for this post or others in the last week, so was not alerted to their needing to be approved. I got one alert this morning, which clicking through to approve revealed this host of others awaiting moderation. I never received notice of their presence. So, again, please accept my apologies. I think I have approved them all now and didn’t miss anybody but if you left a comment here that didn’t appear, please let me know.

14. Lawrence Brothers says:

So sad to be leaving your blog Brother. But you’ve so clearly departed here from gospel-centeredness as an approach to all of life and opted for the cheap and easy back-handed endorsement of Mr. Romney. So now he’s lost, but Mormonism has been “normalized” (as Thabiti puts it). Good luck trying to put the horses back in the barn. With few exceptions, evangelical Christians (ala BGEA) have confronted our “Mormon moment” with cowardice instead of courage and missed a valuable opportunity to advance the gospel by contrasting it to the teachings of this legalistic cult. Many are now confused regarding mormonism, and those like you, who were uniquely positioned by God to share the truth, suppressed it for the sake of political preferences and prerogatives. I’m saddened my brother for the damage I’m certain has been done here.

1. Jared C. Wilson says:

Lawrence, I’ve said nothing in this post about Romney or any other candidate.
      In any event, if you think the gospel has implications for everything *except* who we vote for — or that even if it does we should shut up about it — then you’re probably right that I’m not the best read for you. Blessings.

Jared C. Wilson

Jared C. Wilson is the pastor of Middletown Springs Community Church in Middletown Springs, Vermont. You can follow him on Twitter.

Jared C. Wilson's Books