I was compared this very morning in a comment thread at another blog to TD Jakes and Joel Osteen.

I guess there’s a first time for everything.

Have your best Palm Sunday NOW! ;-)

Comments:

17 thoughts on “A First!”

1. Jason Kanz says:

Wow. Have the read you? Have the read Osteen? That's like comparing chocolate bars and broccoli.

2. Jared says:

Yeah.Wait — which one am I?Please say chocolate. :-)

3. Jeff Sahol says:

Don't let it go to your head, Jared.

4. Mike Leake says:

Oh come on, you have to link to that. That is hilarious…or sad…maybe both.

5. Jared says:

Jeff, LOL

6. nhe says:

Well Jared – if you're sitting in coach on a plane anytime soon, and you get told by the stewardess that you've been inexplicably bumped to first class…….just do us a huge favor and tell us that "something cool" happened, rather than that "God's special blessing is on your life"………………btw – I'd like to see the context of this also….. because one of the main reasons that you're awesome is that you're the opposite of those guys.

7. Jared says:

nhe, I hate to introduce the morass to you, but if you're a glutton for punishment, the thread is here:http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2010/03/27/the-gospel-frees-you-to-chill-the-heck-out/

8. communityquest says:

Hahaha! That's incredible! I just love it. I want to read it all over again.Jared, didn't the same thing happen to you over at Evangel?

9. Ken Stoll says:

all you need is a cheesy smile, a perm, some new suits, a big bushy gotee and some sweat on your brow… oh, and you need to do an about turn on your theology.

10. Mike Leake says:

wow, thanks for the link. I think I'm going to stop reading your blog. Not because I'm offended but I'm convinced that you are too young to blog.Keep up the good work my friend!

11. Byron Harvey says:

Dude, what's your point? That's exactly what I think of when I think of you: Jakes, Osteen, Wilson, and Hinn, the Four Horsemen of…something. Sheesh.

12. nhe says:

Jared – I liked the lady on there who gave us a link and told us that we all need to listen to a 55 minute sermon from her pastor….then we would all understand what you meant.Yikes!…..fortunately, my short attention span is better suited to your controversial 3 sentence blog posts……even if you were a heretic, at least you'd be giving it to me in small doses……my being a chill-out loving slacker has its advantages.

13. Doug says:

At least no one tried the "athlete's foot" defense…Part of me is just really sad/angry about this, but I'm trying to see what I need to learn here. It shows how deeply we need to keep giving the Gospel to each other. We (and I really do mean "me" in there too, though at times I can be arrogant and forget that) really would prefer a Savior whose yoke is a little heavier, and whose burden came not so light. It'd make us feel better about the fact that we can't pay Him back for loving us.Keep preaching, Jared. And please don't ever wear a silk suit. This is not negotiable. ;-)

14. nhe says:

Doug – I've found that I Cor 3:10-15 gives those who prefer a heavier yoke some comfort.They do of course have to realize that (technically) they don't get to keep the gold for themselves – however it gives them something to strive for (all of us actually, since Eph 2:8-9 also includes vs. 10).

15. Philip says:

Jared, just read the thread…Wow. I don't know if this makes you feel better but…but I've been told I remind people of Joel Osteen by how I look! Yipes.And I know that Paul said, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young" but how is one supposed to do that? I wish he would have said. I have yet to be able to keep anyone from looking down on me because I'm young. (I also look young, which makes a difference. People are way more prejudiced then they realize.)That "young" comment was out of line.

16. Jared says:

Phil, yeah. That one was the most condescending, I thought, and made worse b/c it was passive aggressive. Saying I'm too young to know better is just a "nice" way to say I'm too stupid. But I'll get older/smarter, like him.I didn't really respond (although I asked how young was too young) b/c by that point I had decided defending/clarifying would be a matter of pride and I wanted to just embrace confidence in knowing who I am in Christ and satisfaction that what I said was said clear enough for anyone who had the ears to hear.Also: You're older than me! Geezer.

17. Marty says:

Truly odd. Just keep preaching the word brother. And laugh. You have to laugh at things like this.

Jared C. Wilson

Jared C. Wilson is the pastor of Middletown Springs Community Church in Middletown Springs, Vermont. You can follow him on Twitter.

Jared C. Wilson's Books