Search

I am trying to get better at Scripture memorization. And through this process I have found that I am better off the more I can employ various senses through repetitive exposure to the text. Recently I found out that a web site that I use frequently, www.ESV.org has an audio feature. All you have to do is search on or for a text and then click the “listen” link next to the text title (picture below).

esv.gif

The voice is Max Mclean. I have enjoyed listening to the text to help foster memory, meditation or just reinforcement before preaching. I’m sure you’ll find this feature to be helpful as well. As an aside, in addition to enjoying the ESV translation for studying, I have found it to be an easier text to memorize than other literal translations.

Comments:

11 thoughts on “An Online Aid for Bible Memory”

1. Corey says:

This is such a great idea. I will try this out this week, I am sure it will help.

Thanks

2. Jason says:

I love listening to Max McClean read the ESV and I think this is a good idea.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had success using <a href=”www.fbcdurham.org/FCKeditor/editor/plugins/mediamanager/get.php?id=101″this system. I’ve done Ephesians, Philippians, James, and both Peters. Give it a try. It’s surprisingly easy if you can give it 15-20 minutes/day.

3. Jason says:

(sorry for the malformed link above. trying again)

I love listening to Max McClean read the ESV and I think this is a good idea.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had success using this system. I’ve done Ephesians, Philippians, James, and both Peters. Give it a try. It’s surprisingly easy if you can give it 15-20 minutes/day.

4. kschaub says:

Erik, I will echo your post . . . and suggest a daily reading plan through ESV . . . they offer a daily reading plan that they will email to you that follows Robert Murray McCheyne’s daily Bible reading. If I remember right (I’ve been following it for about 2 1/2 years), it includes readings of the whole Bible in a year, plus reading the Psalms twice, and maybe the NT. I guess I should re-research what I am saying before I comment.

5. Chris says:

Jason,

Could you try posting that link again? I clicked it and nothing is coming up. Thanks in advance.

6. erik says:

Chris,

Here is the link to the page…

7. Jason says:

Sorry about that. Thanks Erik for putting in a correct link.

kschaub — you have it right. Once through the OT each year, twice through the Psalms and NT. I really am enjoying it.

8. John says:

I have in the past recorded myself reciting the Scripture I wanted to memorise and played the recording on a loop while I walked around town on my lunch break. It was great for memorising. I think hearing my own voice helped.

9. The auditory aspect really helps, but I echo John in that our own voices can give it just that extra boost.

Of course, when I listen to myself I find myself saying, “Gunny, you’re no Max McLean!”